Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Last Excerpt from The Makings of Mariam

Tuesdays were usually reserved for the city council members to confer with the public.  Mariam checked her calendar and she noticed that Cassandra scheduled a 30-minute meeting with the council president, Shelia Dixon. 
Mariam wasn’t prepared to deal with Dixon, but she decided to keep the appointment.  Mariam purposely showed up 10 minutes late, and entered the president’s office with a coy smile on her face, and her mini-voice recorder tucked away in her pants pocket.

“Sorry, my phone conference ran over.”

“Girl, no problem. C’mon in here.”

“Something’s different about your office.”

“Could it be that ugly tree Jason brought here?”

Mariam thought she was the only one getting the special treatment from Jason. [She thought, It’s the same fucking tree!] “Oh yeah, I  got the same stinky thing in my office. He’s a hoot.  Let’s get right to it, are you staying or going?”

“My, my, don’t get ahead of yourself.  I didn’t schedule this meeting to discuss those bogus court proceedings.  I called you in here to check on you…and, well…your potential court proceedings.” 

Mariam surveyed Dixon’s face and there it was, the sinister grin she usually rendered when she was digging her claws into her prey.  Mariam was in no mood for the mind games and decided to beat her to the punch. 

“No doll, no one will be dancing with me in court.  That matter is under control.  I have my eyes set on your position.  So I just want to know how soon I can start decorating to my taste.  This crusty off-white theme ain’t hittin’ it.”

Dixon purposefully swiveled her chair away from Mariam so as not to show that she was thrown by the comment.  “Do you really think you can fill my shoes?”

“I know I can.  Let’s not forget, we come from the same hood. I knew you when you were giving head at the skating rink.  So when ever you are ready to sling mud, I got my hands dirty and ready.”

Dixon swiveled her chair back so as to get full view of Mariam’s face, in her hands she held a letter opener.  With an unexpected forced, she jammed the letter opener into the desktop.  “I should laugh at this point, but you are really full of yourself.  I am not going anywhere.”

Mariam thoughtfully fixed a coy smile on her face.  “Who you think you scaring with that letter opener. If you decide to resign let me know.  I have some great ideas that will liven up this pitiful space.”

“I see that tragedy didn’t zap the bitch out of you.”

“The only tragedy up in here is you using gift cards that were intended for the citizens. Dixon, I’m mean really…you don’t have $600 bucks of your own money. I could have lent you that.”

“Those sorry bastards get enough handouts.  Shit, word on the street is that you are broke. That ain’t nothing T. Rowe can fix.” Mariam had a look of shock on her face. “Yes, I know your business. I always have. You are nothing Little Ammie. You are here because I have allowed you to be. And the next time you come out of your mouth at me sideways, I will expose you for the hoodrat bitch that you are. Get out!.” 

“Today I will leave, tomorrow you will. Enjoy the rest of your day Dirty Dixon.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please refrain from posting negative comments!